A delicious comfort food soup that is full of tasty and low on fat.
Try swapping out the swiss chard for spinach or leave them both out and add sautéed green bean cuts, after the soup has been pureed.
Makes 4-6 Servings
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped into chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 cups red potatoes, cubed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 bunch swiss chard leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 5 cups of vegetable broth (Alternative 1: mushroom broth. Alternative 2: 3-4 cups vegetable broth and even out with water.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoke flavoring
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, saute garlic, onion, celery and thyme.
- Add the vegetable broth and everything else.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, until potatoes and carrots are soft.
- Remove bay leaf
- Use a hand blender or handheld electric mixer to puree the soup, leaving plenty of tasty chunks.
- Optional: Top with garlic croutons or thin garlic baguette.